Monday, October 1, 2007




Guest Columist: "Just another (now recovering) f@cked buyer"

I am always looking for people who are willing to tell us how the South Florida housing bubble affected them. I received the following from a reader. Again this illustrates that not everyone experiencing significant losses were irresponsible flippers and speculators.

If you would like to similarly tell your story or write a column, click here for some guidelines.

Here's his story printed verbatim:

-----------------------------------------------------------

I just wanted to tell you my story. I work for a major national finance company, and have moved several times in my 11-year career. I was in Louisville, KY for 18 months when a promotional opportunity opened up in Ft. Lauderdale in March 2006. Call me naive, but I hadn't even heard of a Florida housing bubble. I knew CA, NY, and northern VA had shot up, but I didn't know anything about Florida. So I accepted the job. Needless to say, I started looking online for a home, and immediately began to panic. I had bought a 2,000 sq ft new construction home in a nice neighborhood in Louisville in 2004 for $170,000, and my wife and I had our first child there in 2005. Now I was moving to South Florida (the office was in Deerfield Beach), and that same home in Boca Raton, Coral Springs, or Coconut Creek would be about $550,000. I was getting a $14,000/yr raise (to about $78,000/yr), but I had only $34,000 equity in my Louisville home (plus a $30,000 cost of living lump sum for moving to Florida), so my $68,000 equity plus salary was nowhere close enough for me to be able to afford a nice home. I also found out how expensive property tax and insurance are, and realized I was completely f@cked. If I was lucky enough to find a $450,000 home and put all $68,000 down, and financed $382,000 at 30 years fixed at 6%, my P&I payment would be $2,300. Property taxes would be about $8,400/yr ($700/mo), property insurance about $3,600/yr ($300/mo), PMI of $300/mo, and HOA payments of at least $300/mo. So $2,300 plus $700 plus $300 plus $300 plus $300 equals a $3,900 mortgage payment. I brought home exactly $5,000/mo, so I would have had $1,100 left over for other bills. I had a car payment of $400/mo, which left $700. Utility bills (power, phone, water, cable) would be about $500/mo, leaving $200/mo. Insurance for two cars came out to almost $200/mo. So it was perfect, as long as my family didn't want to eat, buy clothes, or put gas in our cars.

So the next choice was a condo or townhome. I found some pretty nice, fairly new 3-bedroom townhomes online for the low to high-$300's in two north Broward County places, one in Deerfield Beach (A), and another in Coconut Creek (B). Assuming a $325,000 price, $68,000 down (no PMI!!!), $257,000 at 30 years at 6%, my P&I would be $1,540, taxes $6,000/yr ($500/mo), insurance $3,000/yr ($250/mo), and HOA payments of $200/mo. So $1,540 plus $500 plus $250 plus $200 equals a $2,500 mortgage payment. That would leave me $1,400/mo for groceries, gas, and clothes. It was possible.

I asked my boss about A. He said I didn't want to live there, because it's next to a huge landfill and it stinks all the time. So I looked at B on Mapquest, and realized it was on the west side of the dump, while A was on the north side of the dump. So I called my wife and she refused to live next to a dump in either place. Also, this isn't just a regular dump, this is a monstrosity, it's a gigantic mountain in Pompano Beach that can be seen for miles from all directions.

So I started to look for something to rent. The problem with renting in South Florida is that the owners of those properties have to pay gigantic tax and insurance bills, so even if their mortgage is paid off, they need high rents to cover carrying costs. Plus, nobody's mortgage is paid off. The cheapest 3-bedroom I could find was $1,900/mo. It was a decent single-family home on a tiny lot with about 1,600 sq ft and a 1-car garage. The neighborhood was nice and close to work, and the owner was willing to negotiate on the rental price, probably down to $1,750/mo or so. The only downside was that it had almost no backyard, and the backyard it did have fell straight off into a pond with no fence. My boy was 8 months old at the time, and the thought of him drowning in the pond scared me to death. Plus, I had this conviction that there was something shameful about renting. I seriously felt like I would be less of a man if I rented a home. Looking back on it, the idea was just absurd. I should have rented that place. But I didn't. Back to square one.

I googled the health effects of landfills. Unless they were chemical landfills (this one wasn't), there appeared to be no harm, just a stench. My boss came back and told me that two people in the office lived in neighborhood A. I asked one of the guys who lived there if it stunk, and he said only a total of two or three weeks a year. Not bad, two or three weeks out of 52. I could handle that. I called the wife and told her why I thought we should live next to the dump. She reluctantly agreed. The realtor and I went to go look at neighborhood A and neighborhood B. Neighborhood A was fine, I liked some places there, the prices were as low as $320,000 for a 1,600 sq ft townhome (that most people had bought for $110,000 five years earlier), and there were a lot for sale.

Neighborhood B was more expensive. Most were asking $375,000 and up, but one was listed for $360,000, it was 1,600 sq ft and had a 2-car garage, and a decent back yard that backed up to a nice forest preserve. This was March 2006, so the boom had just ended and prices were at their all-time highest. Sales had slowed a lot, though, and my realtor told me I could negotiate a signficantly lower price. I took a deep breath, didn't smell any dump, and offered $330,000. They countered at $345,000, and I accepted. I came up with an extra $1,000 to avoid PMI, put $69,000 down, and got a 5-year term, 30-year amort, $276,000 interest only loan at 5%. I got a good deal on insurance, $2,000/yr, and for the first year, I could enjoy the lower tax payment of the previous owner (taxes reset to the higher amount the year after purchase). So my entire monthly payment came out to only $1,677, plus a low $103/mo in HOA payments, for a total of $1,780/mo. I knew I could do that, and $1,780/mo buying was much better than $1,750/mo renting because of the tax advantage. I thought I had made a really smart move. The offer was made in late March, and we closed in early May.

Then the bad things started happening. First, the real estate market completely fell apart. When I made the offer on my townhome, there were 4 others for sale in the neighborhood of about 200 identical townhomes. Within two weeks of moving in, there were 13 for sale. Uh oh. One down the street also sold for $345,000, and although it was closer to the cul-de-sac and had a bigger yard, it still made me feel good. But within 60 days two others on my street sold for $325,000. A couple others in the neighborhood sold for similar prices, two for even more than mine, $350,000 and even $360,000. But then everything went from slow to completely stopped. A month after I moved in, my neighbor (who bought for $165,000 in 2002), put his up for sale for $360,000. He had almost no viewings and almost no offers for months. The three actual offers he got were all around $285,000 or $290,000. He and his wife laughed at what they thought were ridiculous offers. This was all within five months of moving in to my place, so I knew I was in big trouble.

Throughout the month of May, no stink from the dump. It's incredibly, unbelievably hot and humid from April through December, but even in May there were some cloudy days or evenings where we could walk to the park. The park was beautiful, and we thought we were OK. In June however, the smell arrived. I tried to ignore it and deny it, buy there was no ignoring this. It was really an awful, putrid trash smell, just like you would imagine a landfill smelling. I hated it, but I remembered what my co-worker had said about it only being there for two or three weeks a year and thought it would go away quickly. It didn't. After a couple weeks of smelling the stinky dump and feeling guilty for moving my family to this place, I found that I could check wind direction on weather.com. The 10-day forecast said wind was coming from the east every day, which meant it was blowing straight from the dump to my front door. I realized that my co-worker lived in community A, directly north of the dump and out of the usual wind direction, and I bought in community B, directly in its path. Oh no.

I won't bore the reader with the rest of the sad, predictable details except to say that it kept getting hotter, we smelled a very strong stench from the dump at least every other day, and the home prices in my neighborhood kept going down, down, down, while the number of listings went up, up, up. My neighbor's house never sold, even after he dropped his realtor and listed it as FSBO. He took it off the market. Mosquitos swarmed, the sun bore down, my air conditioner couldn't keep the house cool, and we were constantly worried about hurricanes. A month after moving there, we found out we were pregnant again.

In October 2006, the company announced they were closing all branches and relocating us to six business centers, in Nashville, Greenville SC, Tampa, Las Vegas, Dallas, and Colorado Springs. I'm from NC originally, so I only applied for positions in Greenville. I got the job I wanted. I didn't care how much I lost on the home, I just wanted out, plus a large portion of the loss was made up of the $30,000 lump sum I had been given to move there. I sold the home for $285,000 in June 2007, the same home I had paid $345,000 for a year earlier (more than a 20% drop!!!), and at the closing the buyers still said they were worried they were paying too much. They were right. Now there are two other homes for sale in the same neighborhood for less than $300,000. That's listing price, so I'm sure the sellers will let them go for less than the $285,000 I sold for. There are also a lot of other homes for sale in there that will never sell, because the sellers are delusional with their asking price.

In July, I bought a 2,800 sq ft home in a nice neighborhood in Greenville for $248,000. It was built in 2001, is in a very nice neighborhood, has a quarter-acre lot, and is less than two miles from my office. Plus it's not so hot and it smells wonderful.

The South Florida real estate market is dead, way, way dead. Prices keep falling, and more homes keep getting listed. But I'll say this, too. South Florida gets a bad rap. My wife and I loved the people there, loved the diversity, and loved the beach. The schools in our area were good schools. The neighborhood kids were polite, our area had no crime. It's just too hot and too expensive. People told me I was crazy for moving from Kentucky to Florida, and they were right. It was a bad move. But I still see some of the old Florida there, I talk to the natives and they tell me what things used to be like. I think if the money-hungry flippers leave and never come back and the prices get back to reasonable levels, it would be a really nice place to live. My second child was born there, my wife made a lot of good friends there, and a piece of my heart will always be there.

And one more thing. People wish their home would increase in value, but it's really not a good thing when it does. How are your kids going to buy a home? What is happening with your property tax? And the SOH exemption is just terrible, it just creates envy in the ones who bought recently, and smugness from the ones who bought when it was cheap. It creates an underlying neighbor-vs-neighbor resentment. But it's too late to do anything about it now.

Just another (now recovering) f@cked buyer

54 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. That is a very touching story.
I am happy for you that you were able to get out without bankruptcy.
I want to thank you for sharing you experience with us and wish you well on your new life in N.C.

Anonymous said...

I love it!!

This is an awesome addition to the site!!

I'm glad that the reader was actually able to sell his home.

Anonymous said...

I predict that your greedy neighbor who paid $165k will regret turning down the $285 and be lucky to get $200k before this "correction" is over.
He is so typical of the attitude so many S Floridian homeowners have.
They all will try to hover just above the last sale, until prices drop, then they hover above that price. Always chasing the market, NEVER catching it.
You are a PRIME EXAMPLE of HOW to SELL.
Congrats.

Anonymous said...

You were the smart one who was willing to take your loss and move on. There are so many people holding us in hopes for a turnaround, a turnaround that will never happen.

I know at least three people who are renting out their homes right now at huge monthly losses. They're doing it because they think the market will rebound shortly.

Basically, they're paying $1,000 - $2,000 a month, every month, just two watch their "investments" lose 30% to 50% of their value.

My hats off to you because you knew when to "fold 'em." You sold at a decent time. Although you had a significant loss, it would have been much worse had you not acted when you did.

Anonymous said...

"And $1,780/mo buying was much better than $1,750/mo renting because of the tax advantage."

As you unforunately know now, obviously, this isn't true in a falling market or even a stagnant market becasue of transaction costs.

I think we were all brainwashed so completely into believing that buying is always better than renting, that we fail to account for the HUGE risk one takes by buying.

Think about all the risk:

- Market price risk: As we all know now, real estate DOES go down.

- Bad neighbor, neighborhood, or landfill stench risk: If you rent, the cost of moving after fulfilling a typical one-year lease on a rental is de minimis. So, if you end up in with bad neighbors or landfill stench (things that are sometime difficult to assess when you're shopping), you can move to a more suitable location. When you buy, transaction costs can kill you if you move after only one year.

- Maintenance risk: If you buy and one year later you find termites, your AC breaks, you pool cracks, or you discover your roof leaks, there is usually little you can do but fork over the money. When you rent, you just call the landlord.

- Life changes risk: If you rent and your working spouse dies, you get sick, or you get transfered, you simply pay the penalty for getting out of the lease early. Just like in this case, a job transfer can devistate an "owner."

In the current ownership society, people completely forget that that there is HUGE risks involved with buying over renting. These should not be discounted.

If the price of renting equals the price of buying, I'll rent all day long.

Anonymous said...

Anon,
You are so right. I own a substantial amount of RE in a northern state and have made my living entirely from my RE income property for 28 years.
I too believed RE prices NEVER went down until 2005 when I tried selling a property I bought and rehabbed up north.
I got out at break even as I watched with horror and disbelief as RE prices actually were dropping in the surrounding markets.
When I got involved in these blogs and SS forums I became exposed to historic charts that quickly disspell the myth that RE ALWAYS GOES UP, and NEVER goes DOWN.
I am currently taking my own advice as I try to sell my beautiful 3000 SQ FT 12 acre estate that I call home. It appraised for my HELOC at $325k two years ago.
I have had it on the market for almost two years and have dropped the price this year from $279k to $229k. Less than it cost me to build it (in 2000) and put in the lot improvements. Basically, I am throwing in the lot for free.
Our market is bad, but only a ten month supply here versus a 40 month supply of housing in S Fla.
And I AM getting a flurry of lookers. I had 4 showings this weekend alone and a second showing tonight.
All this in an otherwise "dead" market on the off season.
I have strayed, but we need to recognize what I call the "MYTH OF RE PRICES NEVER FALLING".

Anonymous said...

Great post. Obviously the writer made a mistake in buying down here, but he was very intelligent in the way he handled the situation. Smart people make bad investments all the time. But it's also the smart people that know when to take a loss and move on. This guy was smart enough to recognize the situation he was in and get out of it.

I'll never understand why some people insist on making money back the same way they lost it. Like a homeowner who stubbornly waits for prices to come back up before selling. Or an investor who buys a dog stock that tanks in value and instead of dumping it and putting into some better investment, they just keep waiting for it to go back up to its previous high before they sell it.

I agree with another poster that the whole "tax deduction" benefit to buying is severely overstated. I always laugh when some amateur investor who buys a cash flow negative property and says something like "sure-I'm losing money, but I can write that off". Great strategy--spend $1 to save 35 cents in taxes. Yeah--that makes sense.

Anonymous said...

Here we go again:
"There are so many people holding us in hopes for a turnaround, a turnaround that will never happen."

Statements like this makes you look real, real stupid. Just an other stupid blogger.

Anonymous said...

Oh look our favorite Real Estate Cheerleader is back

Anonymous said...

Maybe by "never" he meant 5-10 years, which will feel like "never" to people desperately waiting for a quick 1-2 year turnaround.

Anonymous said...

Ooo, i see so now "never" is not never, just feels like it!

Anonymous said...

In August, some of you said that the housing bubble will drag the stock market down with it. The Dow dropped 10%, the "end" was here. Today the Dow just made a new high, less than 2 months later.... But wait, You guys know everything, I forgot.

Anonymous said...

Braziliano,

You're a broken record. As others have told you repeatedly, this site has nothing to do with the stock market. You're the only one who discusses the stock market on this site.

And, I challenge you to show us any post on this site where anyone said the stock market would go down within the next month.

It didn't happen.

If you'd like to discuss the local REAL ESTATE market, let's talk.

In August, many of us who post here said the REAL ESTATE market would continue to collapse.

It has.

In August, we said that REAL ESTATE inventories and foreclosures would continue to go up.

They have.

In August, we said the REAL ESTATE credit market would continue to dry up.

It has.

Everything we said would happen did happen. We're batting 1.000.

Keep making up BS about things people never said about the stock market if you'd like, but no one is buying it. No matter how hard you try, no one is biting.

If you want to discuss REAL ESTATE then please join in -- you seem like a smart enough guy and the dissenting view makes this place a lot more fun.

But, lay the stock market stuff to rest. It's getting trite.

Anonymous said...

Fine, i will look it up tonight.
The main guy even posted a video in August.

Anonymous said...

Braziliano, what does the stock market have to do with South Florida real estate?

Regardless of whether or not someone else said that stocks would be way down this particular month (which I don't remember anyone saying), how does the stock market reaching a new high vindicate someone who believes the housing market is in good shape?

Like a previous poster said, we're pretty much batting a thousand here so far. The local real estate news keeps getting worse, not better. Is the stock market supposed to magically lift home values in South Florida?

Anonymous said...

I like Braziliano. At least he adds a sole cheerleader voice to these forums.

I just wish he would mock us our collective thoughts on real estate and leave the silly stock market alone.

Personally, I think the stock market will be absolutely fine in the long run. I have all my 401k in an S&P 500 fund.

On the other hand, I think the South Florida real estate market will see another 30 to 40% drop.

I'm a stock market bull and a real estate bear, at least in the long run.

Keep in mind that the last real estate bear market (1997 - 2000) coincided with one of the strongest stock market bull markets ever. Likewise, the while the real estate market soared between 2000 and 2005, S&P 500 was horrible.

I just wish that Braziliano would realize that being a stock market bear and a real estate bear are mutually exclusive.

Anonymous said...

I'd like to nominate brazilo as our "Token Flipper Cheerleader"....
All in favor say aye.....

Anonymous said...

aye

Anonymous said...

Braziliano, you never answered a question posed to you in another thread. What is your position in the real estate market? Are you a Realtor or a former RE investor or an innocent homeowner getting burned by a market you didn't help inflate?

It's clear from your frequent posts on this site that you're not clear on the sidelines like most of us. You seem to have something at stake in the RE market other than waiting for sanity to return to South Florida? Throw us a bone and give us a clue about where you fit in to out South Florida real estate mess.

Anonymous said...

https://www.blogger.com/comment.g?blogID=2943345060744197212&postID=8306941183313250594

Gator!
Please read the above.
You guys put that video up, not me.

Anonymous said...

Here some connection between the Stock market and the real estate market: "Today's rally in home builders continues an uptick that began last week after the Commerce Department's report on new-home sales. Investors seemed to believe that the bottom of the housing market would be sometime in 2008 and wanted to get into the group now rather than later."

Anonymous said...

A real estate downturn or mortgage crisis creates bursts of volatility and mini-downturns in the stock market, giving a false impression that RE and the stock market correlate much over the longer term. There is a reason a smartly allocated stock/fund portfolio holds about 5-7% Real Estate as a diversifier.

Almost anybody with a well designed long-term stock/fund portfolio will tell you they have not suffered much, if at all, during the past year of RE's decline. (My own basic portfolio is up 18% YTD, and I know other more gutsy average folks up 25% or more. Granted, being overweighted in international stocks has helped.)

I'd also say there is no way what Wall Street firms are doing, hoping, peddling can predict the bottom of this housing market. Wall Street is always lying to the average investor anyway through the media. Don't look to them for hope about the housing market. And don't look to the Miami Herald or your Realtor buddies. Look at the fundamentals of the local housing market.

Braziliano, are you eager to buy a home like me, or are you eager to sell a home you're stuck with? I'd love to see a bottom in 2008, but my instinct tells me that isn't possible. It sucks because I grew up down here and now I can't buy a reasonably priced home.

But I have no doubt prices will drop much further. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long.

Anonymous said...

"I'd also say there is no way what Wall Street firms are doing, hoping, peddling can predict the bottom of this housing market. Wall Street is always lying to the average investor anyway through the media. Don't look to them for hope about the housing market. And don't look to the Miami Herald or your Realtor buddies. Look at the fundamentals of the local housing market."

I guess the whole thing is just a big conspiracy, at least is that what you suggesting? The truth is , none of us know when the Real Estate market will bottom or turn around. But, it is more popular right now to bash. This is why lot of you remind me for the "short sellers" I used to see when I was a day trader.

Anonymous said...

Braziliano,

Despite what you posted, this doesn't seem like extreme doom and gloom when it comes to the stock market.

Yeah, one guy predicted a recession and another warned not to be fooled by false rallies.

None of that stuff is too extreme. Both prediction are very plausible and certainly haven't been disproven by the recent stock market rally.

To your credit, on some other housing blogs, there are some crackpots that think that the modern-day Great Depression is rapidly approaching due to housing downturn. However, I haven't really see any of those tinfoil hat types on these boards.

Anonymous said...

I wasn't suggesting a conspiracy. I was suggesting that the winds that guide Wall Street in the short-term are so incredibly mysterious and various that traders/firms go on TV and make bold claims and predictions that have nothing to do with reality, or they are (for lack of a better term) simply "cheerleading" to hopefully influence the market in their own favor.

A lot of the time I think those people can't even admit to themselves what a craps shoot short-term success/failure can be. (Again, invest smartly for the long term and you're golden...but you already know that braziliano because you were a day trader.)

Braziliano, since you were a day trader, I have a question. Which do you think is riskier, day trading or real estate investing (flipping, etc.)?

Anonymous said...

Braziliano, the daily movements of the stock market are nearly impossible to predict with any degree of accuracy.

But based on how widespread and how significant the housing bubble is, it's subsequent collapse should affect the economy in a very negative way.

You can't really look to history for a guide on this particular case. This housing bubble is unprecedented. And its fallout should be unprecedented, as well.

The resulting negative effects on the economy could easily send the economy into recession. If that happens, I doubt the stock market would respond positively.

However, the stock market could go on surging upward irrationally as it did in the late 90's. Nobody knows for sure. But if the underlying fundamentals of the economy don't reflect the stock market's enthusiasm, the rally will eventually deflate, just as it did after 2000.

So, it's important to look at the economy as a whole--not what the Dow is doing. The market will always fall back in line with fundamentals. I haven't heard too many good things about the economy recently. A lot more bad than good. Most of the "good" news is something along the lines of, "Company X only lost $1 billion this quarter instead of the $1.2 billion we thought they would lose. Good news! Strong buy!"

Personally, I think the housing market is no place to be putting money. For a lot of the same reasons, I believe the stock market is a risky place to keep money right now (short term). Both the housing and stock market will go up over the long term. Nobody is arguing with that. It's the next 5 years or so that I'm focused on.

But regardless of whether we have another stock market bubble coming up or not, housing prices will almost definitely decline until they make sense again.

Could we (the housing bears) be wrong? Sure. But it's MUCH, MUCH more likely that we will continue to be right.

We'll just have to keep watching and see what happens.

Anonymous said...

OK I know I'll probably get blasted for this or branded a tinfoil hat nutcase. LOL (whatever that is?)
But I personally fear a depression is not out of the realm of possibilities here.
NOT JUST because of the RE bubble, but for a number of related larger issues.
Credit has driven our economy merrily along for the past 12-16 years.
Loose cheap abundant money. Personally, I think the balanced budget of the Clinton era (and I give partial credit to Perot for this) set the stage by freeing up vast amounts of credit that the US Gov had used to cover debt.
Anyway credit has been the driving force behind the good years we've seen, and that is changing for several reasons. One of the biggest that we hear very little about is Bush's National Debt, which will be absorbing and competing for huge amounts of available credit.
HELOC'S, new contruction, and the related jobs account for 20-30% of our economy these past years.
I'm afraid the impact will be huge, and it's not just the US.
RE markets world wide have been raging.
We have been running on debt, and sooner or later the party has to end. The buck stops somewhere.
With that, I'll take my tinfoil hat and leave the room. LOL

Anonymous said...

$140,

So, when you’re planning for the depression, are you stockpiling weapons, MREs, drinking water, and fuel for your generator? Have you converted all of your investments into gold bullion that you keep hidden in an attic vault? Your answers to those questions will determine if you deserve the tinfoil hat label.

My opinion: Recession? Yes. Depression? No.

While the problem you mentioned are real, the good news is the global economy will help us through most of if. Construction jobs will dry up, but many of those were worked by illegals that will be forced to return to their homelands. That’s why we haven’t seen significant increases in unemployment to date.

HELOC’s drying will have a bigger effect on foreign car manufacturers and electronics manufacturers than our local economy.

And the best news of them all is that most of the CDOs are held by foreign banks, mostly in Germany, France, China, and Switzerland. Basically, much of our nation’s bubble was funded by foreigners.

So, your neighbor probably bought that new Hummer that he could not afford by taking a HELOC. When he can make the payments on his HELOC and is forced to foreclose, it will be poor saps that invested in Deutsche Bank that ultimately fund your neighbor’s reckless Hummer purchase.

There was a global housing bubble as well, but it won’t be nearly as severe in most other countries because they didn’t have the same ridiculous credit standards. People in other countries will lose their shirts in real estate, but lenders that lent in those countries will not be significantly affected.

I have little doubt that the housing slump will have a huge effect on our economy; I just don’t think it will lead to a depression.

Unknown said...

Ft. Lauderdale Beach adds $1.6 Billion (yes, that is with a "B") of new Condo units in 2007/2008.

1,642 new condos are scheduled to be completed in 2007/2008 along a 2 miles stretch along A1A from Las Olas Blvd. south to Sunrise Blvd. This number includes the Las Olas Beach Club (148), Trump Towers (293), St. Regis (187), The Atlantic (124), The W (517), and Hilton Resort (373).

These numbers do not include the 20 story Orion Resort which has already begun preliminary construction. Demolition of the Nachez and St. Tropez Hotels next to the Bonnet House started in mid October (2007). These properties are across the street from the Holiday Inn which is also scheduled to be demolished to make way for this new property.

If the average asking price is $1 million (I am sure it is higher) the total value would be $1,642,000,000.

Property taxes (estimated at 2.5%) will add $41 million a year to the budget of the City of Ft. Lauderdale and Broward County. Assuming there is little burden on the Broward County school system (because the residents are expected to either be part-time or retired) then why all the talk about budget cuts in the City of Ft. Lauderdale?

The sales of these new 1,642 units will also compete with resales of units from the Jackson Tower and Marriot Beach Place which together have at least 400 condos/time share units. I heard that only 5 units a month are being sold of properties over $1 million so I assume most of these new units have already been pre-sold? If not then I wonder how the current mortgage market and housing market will effect the developers of these projects (I hope they have deep pockets)?

Can anyone update me on the status of the redevelopment of the A1A block that run just north of The Las Olas Beach Club (at Cortez and A1A) and Las Olas Blvd. This block includes the Elbo Room and the now defunct Bermuda Triangle/Atlantis night club.

Are million plus condos imune from the Slump????

Anonymous said...

wow gold
wow gold
[url=http://buywowgold.ru/]wow gold[/url]

Anonymous said...

viagra online without prescription purchase viagra online us - best buy generic viagra

Anonymous said...

viagra for sale generic viagra us - buy original viagra online

Anonymous said...

buy soma soma swimsuit sale - buy soma ship to texas

Anonymous said...

xanax online buy alprazolam in uk - xanax side effects .5mg

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol tramadol for dogs seizures - buy tramadol online visa

Anonymous said...

xanax without prescription xanax dosage 0.25mg - much does generic xanax cost without insurance

Anonymous said...

generic xanax xanax job drug test - xanax dosage yellow pill

Anonymous said...

buy cialis online buy brand cialis online no prescription - cialis 5 mg online-apotheke

Anonymous said...

cialis tadalafil cialis 36 hour pill - buy cialis in south africa

Anonymous said...

cialis pharmacy cialis price in usa - cialis in women

Anonymous said...

cialis online best buy cialis online - generic cialis made

Anonymous said...

xanax online xanax employee drug test - what is xanax 2mg tablets

Anonymous said...

buy cialis online generic cialis 60 mg - reviews viagra cialis levitra

Anonymous said...

cialis sale order cialis on the internet - cialis reviews for women

Anonymous said...

cheap cialis 20mg buy 36 hour cialis online - generic cialis south africa

Anonymous said...

learn how to buy tramdadol tramadol 50 mg tablets - tramadol dosage forms

Anonymous said...

learn how to buy tramdadol tramadol for dogs fever - tramadol ultram

Anonymous said...

http://landvoicelearning.com/#51602 where to buy tramadol for dogs - tramadol 7171

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol tramadol hcl 50 mg what is it used for - buy tramadol online legit

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol tramadol hcl tab 50mg dosage - european online pharmacy tramadol

Anonymous said...

http://www.integrativeonc.org/adminsio/buyklonopinonline/#1735 klonopin dosage available - klonopin 0.25 dosage

Anonymous said...

buy tramadol tramadol zoloft drug interaction - tramadol hcl compared to percocet

Anonymous said...

http://www.integrativeonc.org/adminsio/buyklonopinonline/#6817 klonopin metabolites - 2mg klonopin a day

Anonymous said...

learn how to buy tramdadol order tramadol online reviews - tramadol hcl with tylenol